Frequently Asked Questions


FAQ Answers

Who do I call when the emergency warning sirens are sounding?

Do not call anyone…seek shelter immediately. The sirens are sounding because of severe weather. Tune in to your local stations for weather updates. Calling the emergency numbers will tie up the emergency 911 lines. Additionally, the sirens are tested monthly at 12 noon on the first day of each month

I received a citation (ticket). Where do I pay it?

Traffic and criminal citations can be paid at the Richland Police Department, Court Services Building, at 371 Scarbrough Street, Richland, MS  39218.  You may contact them at 601-932-3100 with any questions regarding fines or court dates.  Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8am through 5pm, except on holidays.

Do you take credit cards?

The Richland Police Department takes Visa and MasterCard credit cards only. ATM or debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo will also be accepted with a signature required. 

How do I get a no contact order?

If you live in Richland and wish to get a no contact order, you need to come to the Police Department and file an incident report.  You will be given a court date and you will then be able to speak with a municipal court judge who issues no contact orders.

How do I get a restraining order?

If you live in Richland and wish to get a restraining order, you need to contact the Justice Court in Brandon, Mississippi, and petition the court for a restraining order.  It is also recommended that you file an incident report with the Police Department so that a case can be opened in the matter as well.

How can I get a copy of my police report?

If you filed your police report with the Richland Police Department, you can contact the Records Department Monday-Friday (except most holidays), 8 AM to 5 PM, 601-932-3100, or come to the station located at 371 Scarbrough Street, Richland, MS  39218.
You are required to bring photo identification, complete a request for the report, and pay a fee of $1.00 per page up to a maximum fee of $15.00 per report.  We accept cash or checks drawn from a local bank.

When can I file a police report?

If you are reporting a crime that occurred in the City of Richland, you can do so 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  If you are reporting a crime that occurred in a location outside of the City of Richland, you will need to contact that location's law enforcement agency.

If you live in Richland, you can call the Richland Police Department at 601-932-3100 and request an officer be dispatched to your residence.  Please remember to dial 911 if it is an emergency.  You can also come to the Richland Police Station in person to file a police report. The physical address is 371 Scarbrough Street, Richland, MS  29318.

If you live outside the City of Richland but wish to report a crime that occurred in the City of Richland, you must respond in person to the Richland Police Department to file a police report.

How do I report an abandoned vehicle, and will it be removed from my street?

The City of Richland Ordinance states a vehicle is abandoned if it moves less than 1/10th of mile in a 48 hour period. If an officer determines a vehicle is abandoned, the vehicle will be towed. 

To report an abandoned vehicle, you can call our business line at 601-932-3100.  You need to be prepared to provide the following information.  You can also submit an Abandoned Vehicle Report online.

  1. Your name, address, and phone number
  2. The location/address of the abandoned vehicle
  3. The make, model, color, and license plate of the abandoned vehicle
Can I obtain a copy of an individual’s criminal record from the Police Department?


What do I do if my pet is lost or how do I find out if my pet has been picked up by Animal Control?

Call Animal Control at the Richland Police Department at 601-932-3100, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, to notify them of your missing pet.

When an animal is picked up by Animal Control, if it is tagged, the owner will be contacted at the phone number or address provided on the tags.  If the owner is unavailable, the pet will be taken to the Mississippi Animal Rescue League. 

My neighbor’s dog has become a nuisance to the neighborhood, what is the city ordinance to prevent this problem?

The City of Richland does have a leash law. This ordinance allows the City to address each complaint on an individual basis. In general terms, a nuisance would be defined as follows: 

  1. Turns over garbage containers or removes garbage from them.
  2. Damages gardens, foliage or other real or personal property.
  3. Is maintained in an unsanitary condition so as to be offensive to sight or smell.
  4. s not confined to a building or secure enclosure while in estrus.
  5. Chases, snaps at, attacks, or otherwise molests pedestrians, bicyclists, motor vehicle passengers, farm stock or domestic animals.
  6. Is a dangerous animal as determined by the animal control officer.
  7. Is diseased or dangerous to the health of the public.
  8. Is housed or restrained less than fifteen (15) feet from a public street, road or sidewalk and, in the discretion of the animal control officer, poses a threat to the general safety, health and welfare of the general public."

The first step in the process is to contact the Police Department (601-932-3100) and ask for Animal Control with your complaint. If known, please provide the address or name of the pet owner. The Police Department will deliver a copy of the ordinance to the pet owner. If the pet owner is not home, a door hanger will be left informing the pet owner of the nuisance.

If this does not eliminate the problem please contact Animal Control (601-932-3100) with the pertinent information of your complaint. An Animal Control Officer will be assigned to investigate your complaint. If the complaint is founded the pet owner will be contacted and informed that the pet must be under the control of the owner at all times. Failures of the pet owner to comply with the findings of the Animal Control Officer can result in civil fines or criminal charges.

This applies to nuisance complaints only. In the event of an animal bite please contact Animal Control immediately. If after normal operating hours, Animal Control may still be contacted at 601-932-3100.

What is the City Ordinance pertaining to loud noise?

The creation and continuation of any loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises in the city is hereby prohibited. If noise reaches a decibel level of _______, it is in violation of the ordinance.  It shall be unlawful for any person to cause, make or contribute to creating any loud or disturbing noise of such character, intensity or duration as to be detrimental to the life or health of any individual, or such noises as disturb the quiet and peace of any citizen of the city. The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud, disturbing, annoying and unnecessary noises in violation of this section, but such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive.
Vehicle horns and signaling devices. The sounding or blowing of any horn or signal device on any automobile, motorcycle, motor bus or other vehicle, except as a danger signal.

Is the Police Department involved in the program notifying residents when a previously convicted sexual offender moves into the neighborhood?

No.  You may obtain this information at anytime via ____________________.

I was told I need a police “case number.” How do I get one?

Police case numbers are only issued when an official investigation and report is made. In order to get a case number, therefore, you need to file a report. You may come to the police station at any time of the day or night, or you can call police dispatch 601-932-3100 and have an officer come to where you are if you are in the City.  In some cases, for some kinds of reports, the officer can take the information over the telephone. After the report is taken, you should ask the officer for their name, badge number, and the case number for your records.

How do I get a case number for something I’ve already reported?

The best thing to do is to write it down, as well as get the name of the officer, when you make your report. However, you can get a case number by calling the Records Division at 601-932-3100 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. You will need to provide the name of the individual who originally filed the complaint, what kind of an incident occurred, and the date, time and location to look it up for you.

How can I find out when I’m supposed to be in Court?

Contact the Clerk’s Office at 601-932-3100.  Court is held each week on Wednesday except holidays.

How can I find out if I have a warrant?

You can come into the police station in person, and properly identify yourself. Please be aware that if you do have a warrant that is not cite-release authorized, you may be taken into custody and held until you can post bail or you are released.

How can I find out if someone else has a warrant?

Find out where the crime occurred; then call the court you believe has jurisdiction of that town or city. Do not call the police department. We cannot give this information to you over the phone.

How can I clear a warrant?

Contact the Warrants Officer at 601-932-3100.

How can I find out if someone is in jail?

You would need to contact the jail directly.  The local jail contact information is as follows:
Rankin County Jail        601-825-1479
Madison County Jail      601-859-5801
Hinds County Jail          601-857-4800

Can I check my (or someone else’s) criminal record?

Contact the County Court Office with this request.

How do I find out what the status of my case is?

The best person to call is the officer or detective assigned to your case. If you know the officer’s name, contact them at 601-932-3100, and leave a message referencing the case number and your specific question. Remember, with some shifts, it may be several days before they come back to work, research the case, and call you back. If you don’t have the case number or the officer’s name, call us at 601-932-3100 with the original complainant’s name, type of incident, date and location; and we’ll get the information needed so you can leave a message with the officer.  If the case has been assigned to a Detective in the Criminal Investigations Unit, contact that unit at 601-420-1570.

My son/daughter was arrested. Can I get a copy of the case?

If your son or daughter was over 18 at the time of the incident, they are adults, and you have no standing as a parent to receive any information. Even if they were juveniles at the time, as a parent, you do not have a right to automatically receive a copy of the case. If the case is progressing through the legal system, you may petition the Juvenile Court for a copy of the report. If you have a question about a case involving your minor child, you might want to talk directly to the officer.

I was arrested, but was never given an appearance date. How do I find out if I should go to court?

If you were not immediately charged with a crime, that doesn’t mean charges cannot be filed later, after an investigation. Depending on the case, after a complaint is filed, the Court will mail you a Notice to Appear, if they have your current address. If the Court cannot locate a current address for you, an arrest warrant will be issued in your name. If you are concerned you might be charged with a crime, perhaps the best option is to talk to the officer or detective directly that was investigating your case.  You may also contact Court Services at 601-932-3100

How can I find out if my restraining order was served?

If you can satisfactorily identify yourself to us as a protected party, and bring in a copy of the order during normal business hours, we will examine the record to see if your order shows proof of service.

How can I tell if my restraining order is still valid?

The expiration of a restraining order is listed on its face. If you no longer have your copy, but can identify yourself to us as being the protected party, we will tell you if the order is still in force and effect.

How can I find out if I have a restraining order out against me?

You would have to have been personally served to make it valid, and presumably, you would know about it.

Is it necessary to have a permit to sell door-to-door in the City of Richland?

Yes. City Ordinance requires that a permit be issued. You may obtain a permit at City Hall.

Does the City of Richland have a neighborhood watch program?

Yes.  Please contact the police department at 601-932-3100 to join or start a watch program in your neighborhood.

What happens to the property/evidence that is collected by the Richland Police Department?

Items are collected by the police department for many reasons.  First and foremost is the collection of evidence.  Evidence can be anything from fingerprints and DNA samples to any item used in the participation of a crime.  The police department also collects found property and illegal items.  Items taken as evidence are generally not returned to owners until the relative case has gone through trial and a verdict has been reached.  At times, the City of Richland will allow items of evidence to be returned before trial.  This is done on a case by case basis.  Found property will be returned to the rightful owner if the person can be located.  Unlawful items such as narcotics, paraphernalia and illegally possessed firearms are destroyed.  If a citizen is seeking the return of property or evidence, they must first contact and make an appointment with the Chief Investigator at the Richland Police Department at 601-420-1700.